The top-10 most fallacious arguments of materialists
(A much more elaborate, improved and accurate version of the contents of the video below has appeared in essay format in my book Brief Peeks Beyond, as well as in this freely available paper. The version below is kept for legacy purposes.)
|Laughing jester, circa 1500. Source: Wikipedia.|
So, what are they? Here is a list...
- Because we cannot change reality by merely wishing it to be different, it’s clear that reality is outside consciousness.
- Reality is clearly not inside our heads, therefore idealism is wrong.
- There are strong correlations between brain activity and subjective experience. Clearly, thus, the brain generates consciousness.
- Because psychoactive drugs change subjective experience, it’s clear that the brain generates consciousness.
- Because we are separate beings witnessing the same reality, reality has to be outside consciousness.
- The separation between consciousness and unconsciousness is dualist nonsense.
- Because reality behaves according to strict, immutable laws, it cannot be generated by consciousness.
- To say that a collective unconscious generates reality is equivalent to saying that reality is outside consciousness.
- The idea of consciousness generating reality is too metaphysical.
- Why would consciousness deceive us by simulating a materialist world?
And the reasons they are all wrong? Check out the video below... have fun!